Meet Dynamic Trainer - David Payne
In 2009/10 Sydney Trainers Premiership - 5th - 41 wins as at 13/2/2011 for the 2010/11 Sydney Premiership David Payne is equal 5th - 19 wins.
Trainer of 100 Group 1 Winners, David Payne moved to Australia from his native South Africa in 2002, without any horses, wanting to make a new start. Since then David has become one of the most respected trainers in the tough Sydney market and holds a position in the top 5 metropolitan trainers. David has spent the last 40 plus years surrounded by horses as either a jockey or a trainer. David was a jockey for 7 years in his native South Africa before weight got the better of him and he took to training horses in the season 1970/71.
He met with early success with his first ever runner, Early Bid, saluting the judge in first position, hence the name of his stables on the Summerveld Course, ‘Early Bid Lodge.’ In a short space of time, David was to become rather fond of a horse that he considered was the best that he has ever trained. In Full Flight took all before him in having 19 starts between 2 and 4 years of age for 16 wins. Of those 16 wins, an incredible 6 were group 1’s, 3 were Group 2’s, 1 was in a Group 3 and a further win was in a Listed event.
In his 30 plus years as a trainer in South Africa, David’s record was unparalleled. He was the leading trainer of the Natal district an amazing 23 times. David has now won 99 Group 1’s both here and in South Africa. The next time you are at a trivia night, answer David Payne to the following question. Which former South African trainer has won every Group 1 race that South Africa has to offer? Amazing but true.
When David arrived in Australia in 2002, he applied for boxes at Royal Randwick. The chief executive of the AJC at the time, Tony King, rang some connections in South Africa and with their recommendation; he had the next available boxes.
The 25 boxes that he was initially granted were filled with quality horses such as:
- Unearthly - Winner Gr 1 Flight Stakes and Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes (first up over 1600m) Centennial Park - Winner Gr 2 Expressway Stakes, Gr 3 AAMI Stakes, LR Darby Munro Stakes.
- Masquerader - Winner Gr 2 Todman Slipper Trial.
- Hurried Choice - Winner Group 2 Challenge Stakes and placed in Gr 2 and listed events.
- Uber - Winner Gr 3 Black Opal, Listed Lightning Stakes, Listed Razor Sharp Quality Gallant Tess - Winner Gr 2 Breeders Classic, Listed Fernhill Hcp.
- Placed in the Gr 1 Champagne Stakes, Group 2 Furious Stakes and Gr 2 Tea Rose Stakes.
- Flying Pegasus - Winner Gr 2 Royal Sovereign Stakes and Gr 3 Kindergarten Stakes.
- Placed Gr 1 Randwick Guineas, Gr 2 Todman Stakes and Gr 3 Hobartville Stakes.
- Nevis - Winner Gr 2 Chelmsford Stakes and Listed Toy Show Quality.
- Placed Gr 1 Rosehill Guineas and 4th in the Gr 1 George Main Stakes Stripper - Winner of the 1st 2yo race after EI and winner of the Gr 3 Sweet Embrace Stakes and placed in the listed Widden Stakes Defiant Dame - Winner LR Gimcrack Stakes.
- Dream Machine - Winner Gr 3 Frank Packer Plate.
David now sees his future at the Rosehill race track where he has been granted 50 boxes and Dynamic Syndications are delighted to be able to support his venture. His contribution to South African racing was immeasurable and he is building an imposing record here in Australia from a limited amount of boxes.
David Payne trains many horses for Dynamic Syndications. Some include Well Handled (3 city wins), Dream Choice and promising Secret Delight.